Saturday, April 21, 2012

Eggs Benedict Caprese (Lightened Up)

I had eggs benedict caprese when I was in Denver last summer with my cousins and it was SO delicious so it's been in my mind as something I'd like to try ever since. I was reminded when I saw this eggs benedict caprese recipe on pinterest, but then I realized how not very healthy eggs benedict (and hollondaise sauce) is.

I woke up this morning and already had the ingredients on hand for this recipe since I made pizza margherita last night, so I decided to see if I could make a lightened up version of eggs benedict caprese. The resulting dish was so delicious! The hollondaise sauce is thinner than the usual, but the flavor was great so it didn't seem to matter.

For tips on how to perfectly poach an egg click here.

 Eggs Benedict Caprese (lightened up)


INGREDIENTS:

For the hollondaise sauce:
1/3 cup fat free egg substitute
1/8 cup fresh lemon juice (or slightly less of bottled lemon juice)
1 tablespoon or slightly less butter
Salt and pepper to taste

For the eggs benedict caprese:
2 pieces of whole wheat pita
2 eggs
1 plum tomato, thinly sliced
2-4 pieces fresh basil
2 slices of fresh salted mozarella

DIRECTIONS:

Make the hollondaise sauce:
In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, heat the butter and lemon juice while whisky with a fork until it is steamy and just about to come to a boil. Remove from heat and add the egg substitute. Return to low heat and whisk constantly until the sauce thickens slightly. Add salt and pepper to taste and remove from heat. You may want to reheat slightly before serving.

Prepare the pita:
Firmly place a glass upside down on pita and tear around the edges to create a pita circle. If it had a pocket, just keep the two pieces together as much as possibile. Repeat with second pita and toast in the toaster oven.

Poach the eggs:
Bring a pot of water with vinegar in it almost to a boil. Create a "tornado" by swirling spoon around in water. Drop egg in and let cook until it feels done. For more detailed instructions about poaching an egg, click here.

Assemble the eggs benedict:
Place the toasted pita on a plate. Top with one tomato slice, basil leaf, and mozzarella slice. Place the poached egg on top, and drizzle with hot hollondaise sauce. Serve immediately.

Serves 2.



No comments:

Post a Comment