Monday, March 26, 2012

Blackened Fish Tacos

While in Albany this weekend for Dania and Daniel Dobosz's wedding (yay!), I found one of the first cookbooks I ever owned. I think it was a gift from my mom from a Pampered Chef party. It's called The Pampered Chef: It's good for you. The notes in the margins reminded me of some of the recipes I learned to cook from, including an amazing "good for you" cappuccino cheesecake. I remember being stressed out and sending PJ out in Astoria to buy a cup of strong coffee to use for it and feeling very unsure about how it would come out. It was soooo good.



This fish taco recipe looked easy and healthy, so I brought the book home to give it a try. I am definitely going to mark it as one of my favorite recipes! Pampered Chef....who knew. I looked up how to make a blackened fish spice rub, bought some already cut slaw mix, and went to work. The whole meal was ready to eat in about 30 minutes. And I was very excited to have a reason to use my double burner cast iron grill pan!

INGREDIENTS:
Slaw:
2  thinly sliced green onions, white and green parts
2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 garlic clove, pressed
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspon blackened fish rub (recipe below)
2 cups slaw mix (shredded cabbage, carrots, etc.)

Fish:
1 pound tilapia fish fillets
1 tablespoon blackened fish rub (recipe below)
1/2 avocado, seeded and sliced
8 6-inch corn tortillas, warmed

BLACKENED FISH RUB: (mix all spices together in a small bowl)
1 Tablespoon paprika
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon sage

DIRECTIONS:
1. For slaw, in a medium bowl, combine the first seven ingredients (everything except the slaw mix). Stir to blend, and then add slaw mix. Toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.

2. Heat a grill pan or regular pan over medium heat for 5 minutes. Moisten the fish fillets with water and sprinkle with the rub. Lightly spray pan with oil. Place fillets in pan and cook over medium heat for 8-12 minutes, or until fish flakes easily with fork, carefully turning once. Remove from heat. Flake into bite-size pieces.

3. Top tortillas evenly with slaw mixture, fish, and an avocado slice. Sprinkle with additional cilantro if desired.

Makes 8 tacos.

No comments:

Post a Comment