Sunday, February 28, 2010

Brussel Sprout and Mushroom Ragout with Herb Dumplings

I am much more interested in new things than I am in relying on the tried and true.  I am completely brand un-loyal.  I hate watching a movie or reading a book more than once, unless I really can't remember what it's about.  I think that watching the same reruns of Seinfeld and The Office over and over on TBS is a complete waste of my time.  And I hardly ever cook the same dish more than twice.
This dish, however, has something addictive about it that has kept me coming back for more.  I first made it about three years ago, and the memory of the satisfying flavors has crept back into my mind so often that I've made it five more times since then.  I know it doesn't sound like much, but it's a lot for me!  PJ doesn't really care for brussel sprouts and adamantly dislikes mushrooms, but I can tell that he likes this dish a lot more than he'll even admit.  There is just something special about the mixture of flavors and textures here that will make you want to cook it again and again.


Brussel Sprout and Mushroom Ragout with Herb Dumplings
Adapted from Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Suppers

FOR THE RAGOUT:
2 3/4 cups vegetable or mushroom stock
4 teaspoons olive oil
4 medium-small shallots
3/4 lb white mushrooms, rinsed and thinly sliced
3 tablespoons chopped parsley
1/2 tablespoon dried tarragon
1 plum garlic clove, minced
1/2 large lemon
1 pound brussel sprouts, halved

FOR THE DUMPLINGS:
1 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk, heated with 3 tablespoons butter or oil
3 tablespoons mixed chopped parsley and tarragon
1 egg

Bring a pot of water to boil for the brussel sprouts.  In another pot, begin heating the stock.

Heat the oil in a wide nonstick skillet.  Add the shallots and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until aromatic and nicely colored, about 8 minutes.

Once the onions are a rich color, raise the heat to high and add the mushrooms, herbs, and garlic to the pan.  Squeeze lemon juice over the mushrooms and saute until the mushrooms are soft and slightly browned, 5-7 minutes, then reduce the heat to low

Add salt to the boiling water, then add the brussel sprouts.  Boil until nearly tender, 4-6 minutes.  Check by piercing them with a fork.  Drain, then add them to the pan with the mushrooms.  Pour in the stock.  At this point you can turn off the heat and let the vegetables stand until you're ready to make the dumplings.

For the dumplings, mix the flour with the baking powder and salt.  Pour in the heated milk, herbs, and egg and stir quickly together with a fork.  Add the dumpling batter by spoonfuls to the ragout.  It may be a little tight, but you should be able to fit them all.  Cover the pan and bring everything to a simmer.  Cook for 10 minutes and then serve.

3 comments:

  1. Too bad you're gonna be watching the same episodes of Seinfeld and the Office with me for the rest of your life....love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE brussel sprouts and I LOVE mushrooms. I'll have to make some.
    How many times did you read Couplehood? http://www.amazon.com/Couplehood-Paul-Reiser/dp/0553573136/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267474523&sr=1-1

    ReplyDelete
  3. At first I thought you were bringing that up to embarrass me but now I see the connection :) So I guess there are some exceptions, including Paul Reiser's underrated masterpiece and, of course, The Sound of Music!

    ReplyDelete