Saturday, January 30, 2010

Whole Wheat Nutty Quick Bread

Here is the recipe for the bread that I suggested you serve with the Comforting Corn Chowder, posted below.  I've tried all different kinds of bread baking techniques and currently this is my favorite.  Why even bother with yeast breads when you can make this quick bread in an hour?  A quick bread does not use any yeast, relying instead on baking powder and soda for leavening.  So that means no kneading AND no waiting.  It's a little sweeter than you'd want for a sandwich bread, but it is amazing with soup or for a snack.  I make a double recipe, leave half of one loaf out to eat fresh, and then cut up the rest into slices and freeze them individually wrapped to bring for snacks at work.  The following recipe makes one medium-sized loaf, but feel free to double them.

Whole Wheat Nutty Quick Bread
Adapted from Mollie Katzen, Enchanted Broccoli Forrest

Ingredients:
1/3 C lightly toasted cashews
1 C water
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/3 C sugar
1 C unbleached white flour
1 C whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
a dash of ground nutmeg
2/3 C chopped almonds (or pecans, or both)

Preheat oven to 350.  Lightly grease loaf pan.  Put cashews and water in a mini food processor or small blender and puree until you have a fairly smooth cashew milk.  Add the eggs and vanilla and blend.
Place the sugar in a medium mixing bowl.  Sift in the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices.  Stir with a whisk to blend.  Make a well in the center and pour in the cashew mixture.  Stir with a wooden spoon, adding the nuts along the way, until the batter is fairly uniform.
Transfer to the prepared pan and bake about 40 minutes, until the edges are slightly browned.  Let stand to cool for a few minutes before removing the bread from the pan to let it cool on a rack for at least 30 minutes more before slicing.

5 comments:

  1. That is my favorite way to make bread, too! I have my own favorite recipe from Very Vegetarian by Jannequin Bennett:
    1 1/2 cups creamy soymilk (I have successfully substituted many kinds of milks, including 1 percent, or a combination of whole milk and almond milk- it doesn't seem to mind)
    1 tablespoon lemon juice
    2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour or soy flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/4 cup canola oil
    1/4 cup molasses (or honey!)

    Preheat the oven to 375. Grease and flour your loaf pan. Mix the milk and lemon juice and let stand for 5 minutes until the milk has curdled. Mix the flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a bowl. Mix the soymiok with the oil and molasses (or honey). Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until blended. Pour the batter into the pan and bake for about 50 minutes. When the bread is cool enough to handle, remove from the pan and cool on a rack.

    Makes 1 loaf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely putting this recipe in my "To try" file! And I love the reactions buttons at the ends of the posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am trying your bread recipe right now - it is in the oven. I referenced the Enchanted Broccoli version as I had it on my shelf rather than taking the computer in the kitchen with me, so I kept your recommendations to increase the nuts but my friend Ilana is super into ginger so we added the ginger back in. I did the five minutes of beating honey instead of the sugar - maybe I'll freeze a piece so you can taste if it's worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was delicious! I froze a piece for you to try later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! I can't wait to try your recipe too as soon as my stash in the freezer runs out.

    ReplyDelete